Wilton F. Martin Communicator of the Year Awards
Since 2005, the Wilton F. Martin Communicator of the Year Awards have recognized individuals and institutions who have demonstrated excellence in strategic communications to improve the quality of life in Marion County.
The award is named in honor of Wilton F. “Marty” Martin, an Ocala native and co-founder of the Florida Public Relations Association, the nation’s oldest association of public relations professionals. FPRA got its start in Marion County in 1938 when Martin was publicity director for the Silver Springs attraction. Today, the Association has more than 1,000 members in 15 professional chapters throughout Florida. The Ocala Chapter was chartered in 1980 and named FPRA’s Chapter of the Year in 2016 and 2018.
Nominees and award winners will be honored by the Ocala Chapter of the Florida Public Relations Association in April at the chapter’s local Image awards. Nominees do not have to be members of FPRA, but must exemplify the highest professional standards in the communications field. Nominees may include businesses, nonprofits, journalists, educators, community/civic leaders and professionals from allied fields, including advertising and marketing.
The Individual Communicator of the Year recognizes the person who uses his/her position to enhance Marion County’s community causes, advance the field of public relations and uphold the ethical standards representing the Ocala Chapter. Institutional recognition honors the Institution/Media Outlet that has gone above and beyond to provide timely, accurate and critical information to the community, and has demonstrated mastery of communications skills and strategies.
The institutional recognition could be awarded based on year-round consistent effort or a singular example of outstanding communication.
Candidates for Communicator of the Year should:
- Represent the field of communications.
- Be active in the Citrus or Marion County County community and show how they use their position to make a difference in the community.
- Show how they contribute to the public relations profession.
- Uphold the ethics and values of FPRA.
- May be nominated by a member of FPRA or the community, but may not be self-nominated.
- Past winners may be nominated again.
Recognition and Benefits
The 2021 Wilton F. Martin Communicator of the Year Award winners will be announced at the annual Mid-Florida Image Awards event in April.
- Award nominees receive a complimentary ticket and recognition.
- Additional recognition via news release, social media, the FPRAOcala.org website and PRestige member newsletter.